The Mozambican Defence Ministry has distanced itself from all human rights violations, anywhere in the country, emphasizing that it will never tolerate atrocities. This was said in response to a video circulating on social media showing men in military uniform murdering a naked and defenseless woman.
In the video, three men are seen pursuing the woman down a bumpy road, catches and beat her mercilessly. The naked woman, staggers to her feet and tries to escape with no success. Several gun shots are head as they execute her.
“That’s enough”, one of the men says. But the killers continue pumping bullets into the now lifeless body of the woman. With the assassins speaking Portuguese, the setting presumably becomes Mozambique though one cannot establish the exact place of crime and time.
The Ministry released a statement on Monday, just a few hours after the video began to circulate on social media saying that the defence and security forces regard the images as “shocking, abusive, repugnant, horrifying and to be condemned”.
The defence forces, “reaffirm their commitment to protect and safeguard human rights, in strict observance of the relevant national laws and of International Humanitarian Law”. Continued the statement.
The Ministry pledges that the Mozambican forces “do not tolerate any barbaric act which is a violation of human rights”.
Any such violations, “should be denounced by all live forces in society, and should be investigated to ascertain their authenticity and veracity, in order to bring the culprits to justice”.
The defence and security forces “appeal for greater vigilance”, the Ministry continued, “and urge the public to remain committed to the defence of the national cause, supporting and collaborating in denouncing anything which is an assault against our sovereignty”.
Lately, the Defence Ministry has been under fire for alleged atrocities committed by Mozambican troops in footage distributed earlier this month by the human rights organisation Amnesty International. The authority has distanced itself saying the footage was fake. However, in this particular incident, the Defence Ministry does not suggest that the latest video footage has been faked.
National Human Rights Commission (CNDH), and the Mozambican Bar Association (OAM) among other organisations have called for serious examination of the case since the faces of some of the men in uniform are visible, it might be possible to check whether they are members of the defence forces stationed in Cabo Delgado fighting against islamist terrorists or impostors.
Liberty Pazvakawambwa SADC News