Home Society South Africa’s Covid-19 war is over

South Africa’s Covid-19 war is over

25
0

Zweli Mkhize, South Africa health minister told MPs on Wednesday that the country has passed the Covid-19 storm as fewer cases are being recorded.

Defending the lockdown in Parliament, Health Minister said it was the correct decision to take to prevent more deaths in the country due to Covid-19 however, saying the storm was over as fewer cases are now being reported which will see a reopening of the economy.

Mkhize said the opening of the economy was not about big business, but the ordinary people who are the backbone of the economy.

Asked by DA MP Lindy Wilson in delaying to open the economy, Mkhize said it was in the best interest of the country to implement the hard lockdown to prevent the deaths of more people. More than 240 health workers have died of Covid-19 and more than 31 000 more were infected with the corona virus.

“At the time if we did not do the lockdown, South Africa would be worse than it is today. The reality is that we have done the best in the situation. You must stop politicising the matter. Yes, we must rebuild the economy,” said Mkhize.

“When we opened the economy it was not about the big business, it was about the people who are the backbone of the economy,” said Mkhize.

Minister of Social Development Lindiwe Zulu also told MPs that they have received eight million applications for the R350 unemployment grant and have so far processed five million applications electronically through South African Social Security Agency (Sassa)

“When you look at the eight million people who applied and five million who have been paid there has been a small number who have penetrated the system,” said Zulu.

She said they were dealing with issues of double allocation and those who fraudulently got allocation when they were not supposed to get the proposed R350 grant.

Liberty Pazvakawambwa SADC News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here