An Amateur marathon scheduled for March this year had to be cancelled due to a coronavirus outbreak, the Tokyo Marathon Foundation announced on the weekend.
That was indeed tough decision the entity had to come to as the massive sports event cancellation would affect more than 38,000 participants, who had already registered to participate.
“We reached the conclusion that unfortunately, it is difficult to organise the event after several cases (of the virus) were confirmed in Tokyo,” the Tokyo Marathon Foundation said in a statement.
Despite this, some of the athletes will still take part in the race, there will be professional athletes including those with disabilities, the Tokyo Marathon Foundation said in a statement.
But they only account for around 200 of the tens of thousands of people, who had registered for the March 1 race.
The cancellation comes amid the reports warning about the spreading of the virus enters a new phase, Japanese government officials advised.
Since the outbreak begins at least 65 Japanese have been diagnosed with the deadly disease in Japan excluding hundreds of infections aboard a cruise ship quarantined off the coast.