A major fire engulfed a house in Mufulira’s Butondo killing a 70-year-old local woman, the authorities said on Monday.
According to the reports, the elderly resident identified as Loveness Chabala was asleep when a candle, left just near her bed, fell, setting the mattress on fire.
“My grandmother had taken the candle to her bedroom. That’s where the fire started,” 32-year-old Kelvin Chabala, the grandson of the deceased, claimed.
The man, as well as his 8-year-old brother, had also been inside the house when the incident had occurred, however, both of them managed to safely escape the premises.
After the blaze had been extinguished, the firefighter crews recovered the citizen’s remains.