On Tuesday, the governor of North Kivu province confirmed that the first patient who was diagnosed with Ebola in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in Goma city died.
“Unfortunately, I can confirm that the patient died, and it happened while he was being transferred by road,” said Carly Nzanzu.
Neighbouring Rwanda and the UN’s World Health Organization were concerned about the trend and said on Wednesday they would call for the emergency response board to evaluate whether the outbreak should be declared as a ‘public health emergency of international concern’ or not.
On Monday, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said: “the confirmation of an Ebola case could potentially be a game-changer in the epidemic.”
Since the Ebola outbreak last year in August, more than 1,600 people have died in DRC between the North Kivu and Ituri provinces.
Health experts are worried that the virus will continue to spread and reach major cities where high population and mobility will make it hard for them to trace and isolate infected people compared to villages.