74 people including 48 children have been admitted to the Kitwe Teaching Hospital because of suspected food poisoning.
Reports indicate that the residents during the weekend were at the celebration party in Musonda Township when they fell ill.
“Among those admitted were [eight] minors under the age of five…40 were between the ages of six and 14, and 26 were 15 years and above,” Kitwe Teaching Hospital public relations officer Phoebe Chileya explained.
According to her, the patients consumed some unknown meals filled with toxins which almost immediately caused severe stomach pain and high temperature. Most of the people admitted are now considered to be stable and are waiting for their discharge. However, four of them will remain at the hospital for further observation.