A tragedy occurred in New Zealand as two mosques in the city of Christchurch were attacked by armed terrorists. The worst ever mass shooting in the country resulted in 40 people killed, while more than 20 worshippers were seriously wounded.
The massacre took place at the Al Noor mosque, the city’s main mosque, as well as a mosque in the suburb of Linwood. On Friday morning, at least one perpetrator burst into the building and started shooting randomly at the people amid their morning prayers.
On a video fragment, widely circulating around the web, the premises can be seen littered with dead bodies.
After the incident, the whole country was placed on its highest security threat level. New Zealand’s Police Commissioner Mike Bush said four people – three men and a woman – had been taken into custody in relation to the matter. One of the arrested appears to be a white, blond man, identified as an Australian extremist.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that it was “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”. She also sent condolences to the family, relatives and friends of the people killed.