A total number of nine deceased have been registered since the building housing a private school collapsed in Nigeria’s biggest city, Lagos. According to the local rescue services, the last body was lifted from the rubble on Thursday.
As the building suddenly came crashing down, 37 people managed to survive and made their way to the surface with the rescuers’ help. In addition, a bulldozer was deployed in the area to help those trapped beneath the tons of bricks.
“There are no persons left in the rubble,” Joshua Yang, of the Lagos State Fire Service, confirmed to the TVC News channel.
Lagos State governor Akinwunmi Ambode said the building had been earmarked for demolition and the primary school as well as a nursery on one of its floors were being run illegally. The tragic incident could have brought more victims, however, most schoolchildren were outside the premises doing sports activities, local residents said.